Tuesday, March 13, 2012

That's Right You're not from Texas... Texas Wants you Anyway

I hate to say it, but being from California, I have never looked at Texas as a great state.  Now that I have been there a second time, I have to say that NORTHERN Texas is NOT the place to be, but south is great.

I would even go so far to say that Austin is one of the best cities in the United States.  It has a rich live music culture, thriving record and bookstores, food trucks galore, and is beautifully lit at night, this city has a lot going for it.    

It was a great Texan visit.  A reunion with two of my best high school friends:  Christina in Austin and Dana in Gruene (little town south of Austin).  Great to see Christina thriving in school (isn't she always) and loving her home city of two years.  Finally meeting Dana and her two boys, Colby and Rylan was such a good time.  First of all Rylan is hysterical.  He and I had a blast together (his world curiosity is contagious).  It was amazing to see an old friend so happy and being such a great mom.  

And finally, I got to see Mag and Trav in their element.  It was a long overdue visit to Maggie's family's lake house and I got to spend time with them, Mag's mom, Katie, and their bulldog Abby.  I can't believe I didn't take pictures at the lake house, but it was a few days full of delicious food, state park hikes, long conversations on the porch, laughter, board games... you know, the kind of time you would love to have with best buds.  

Mag and Trav had just gotten back from South American adventures and are about to embark on a 5 month plus hike on the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mexico border to the Canadian border by way of the Sierra mountains.  Quite the epic explorers, you can visit their well-written travels here.

Texas was the last stop before New Orleans!

Little Colby barefoot
Rylan's contagious curiosity... What is he looking at?
A photo op we couldn't resist (you can tell he hates getting his
picture taken).
A proper Dixie Thicks reunion.
Answering big questions about the world.. 
Clive Bar on Davis and Rainey Street in Austin.  Ideal bar to film in...

Some HDR photo experimenting with Clive Bar light fixtures.
Texas was the last stop before New Orleans!


1 comment:

  1. Ah,love that I can keep up with you on this blog Hayley! Life is so fun through your lens (I mean mine is fun in it's own way but it's neat to explore someone else's for a change:)). Thanks for the shout out too!

    ReplyDelete